Tuesday, September 14, 2010

How much can the Human Brain take

Hello again to my Veteran friends and to all of our families & friends who support caring for our troops. I am continuing my research on Traumatic Brain Injuries and their downstream effects. An article in today's Philadelphia proposes to link multiple head trauma, however slight, that may have contributed to a University of Pennsylvania college football players suicide. "Owen Thomas' condition could be linked to head trauma, researchers said."
UPENN Football player had brain disease

Many of our Veterans experienced concussions or have experienced multiple IED or related detonation exposure while in the combat zone. It may be insightful for you to read this article and consider the relationship between the multiple head trauma some of our Veterans experienced and their ability to "deal" with life back home. I have experienced multiple headaches and times when I feel like a computer that is 'locked-up'. I think my TBI has made it harder for me to mitigate my PTSD symptoms and the frequency of my nightmares.
I want to understand the relationships between these injuries and the high rates of suicide in our Veteran population. Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) have been associated with exasperating the effects of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, often making PTSD linger on for what seems like an indefinite period of time after combat.
If any of you can find related stories demonstrating the relationship between multiple head injuries and the signature injuries of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, please forward them to me. Thank you.
God Bless our Troops wherever they serve and God Bless America!

1 comment:

  1. I am new at this Blog thing so bear with me. Basically OIF II vet was combat engineer with the North Dakota Army National Guard conducted route clearance around Baquabah area. I was a former Infantry Officer 1985-1998 both active and Guard and Reserve. Discharged 98 joined guard enlisted as E-5 then promoted E-6 before Iraq.
    There that being said. I have been diagnosed with Severe Depressive Disorder and PTSD at 100% permanent total.
    When I got home in 05 they sent me straight home and did not have a drill for six months. My guard family was stripped away from me and tried to adjust to my family again. Isolation and depression set in. I could hardly function . I submitted to treatment with the VA and they have been extremely helpful. Many hours of Telemed at a small va clinic as the hospital was 5 hours drive one way. I transfered to a closer hospital in another state which was only 3 hours away. Prehaps the turning point for my PTSD was the inpatient treatment I received at Black Hills Hot Springs VA facility. 7 weeks in the DOM at the VA helped me understand PTSD by learning to understand it fully and how it effected me was the key in understandding when I was doing and how I was reacting to different situations. For me at least I needed that to help me control it and also trusting my family to tell me when I was doing something weird or wrong. I never tell my family "You don't understand You were not there" Healing involves your family as well as the program. Now I work hard each day to watch for triggers, and think differently about crowds of people, noises, sights and smells, with the help of my family.
    Just some thoughts from this old soldier of 48. Hope it helps someone out there.

    ReplyDelete